Outstanding Commercial Achievement in Science and Technology
This award honours outstanding entrepreneurial achievement with measurable results in a science and technology related business. The science or technology need not have originated in Alberta, but there must be an Alberta connection to the development, enhancement, commercialization, marketing or other related activity.
WHO CAN APPLY: A company (sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation)
Written nomination submission MUST address the following criteria. Frame your answers for a non-expert in your field; use layman’s terms.
- 1. What is the market problem or opportunity you addressed through this entrepreneurial activity?
- 2. How did you develop the solution to this problem? Answer the following questions:
- – Describe the company’s core business. How long has it been conducting business in Alberta?
- – How has the company grown its sales, earnings and the number of employees?
- – Describe the technology, product or process and how it is unique and leading edge.
- – How does the company penetrate current markets? What sets the company apart from its competitors?
- – What do customers say about the product, process and/or service?
- – What is the significance of the solution?
- 3. Demonstrate sound business and financial management.
- – How has the management style and approach of the company contributed to its success?
- – What entrepreneurial risks has the company taken to be successful?
- – Provide a copy of the financial statements for the previous year. (All financial information received is held strictly confidential.)
- 4. Demonstrate social and economic impact.
- – How does the company enhance economic development? For example, does it create/and or retain high-paying jobs?
- – How does it further the growth and diversification of Alberta’s economy?