To inspire the next generation of innovation.
The Alberta Science and Technology Leadership (ASTech) Foundation is a not-for-profit organization founded through an industry initiative in 1989 to showcase the substantial achievements in science & technology in Alberta and to promote the importance of these activities to social and economic benefit.
ASTech has grown with the support of Sustaining Member organizations spanning major industries – including agriculture, health, education, energy and technology – all of whom recognize and celebrate innovation and excellence in Alberta.
To identify and celebrate outstanding achievements in science and technology in Alberta.
The ASTech Foundation:
- – Creates inspiration
- – Fosters innovation
- – Promotes excellence
- – Builds entrepreneurship and prosperity
- – Supports education and training
We recognize, celebrate and grow the culture of innovation in Alberta year round through community outreach which highlights the work of our ASTech Awards alumni.
The ASTech Awards recognize and celebrate our brightest minds and the greatest achievements of outstanding individuals and organizations in the Alberta science and technology innovation community.
Since 1989, ASTech has:
- – Showcased Alberta’s excellence in science, technology and innovation by recognizing more than 600 individuals, organizations and teams
- – Invested more than $1.6 million in the science and technology community through cash prizes to award winners
2021 Executive Committee
- CHAIR: Dr. Robert Thompson, Associate Vice-President (Research), University of Calgary
- INDUSTRY SHOWCASE CHAIR: Rob Tasker, Community Member (CEO & President, Transrail Innovation Group)
- AWARDS CHAIR: Kevin Franco, Executive Advisor, Platform Calgary
- FINANCE CHAIR: Peter Kinash, Community Member (CFO, Replicon)
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: Sue McMaster, Ex-officio
- Tara Barnas, Director Communications & Marketing, Innovate Calgary
- Len Grzyb, Community Member (Vice President Development, Canada West Services, Worley)
- Jim Kresta, Team Leader, Bitumen Production Research, Syncrude Research Centre, Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- Robert McDonald, Q.C., Community Member (Partner, Bennett Jones LLP)
- Jutta Rohrschach, Community Member (Senior Director, Innovation System Engagement, Science and Innovation, Alberta Economic Development, Trade & Tourism)
- Mara Simmonds, Director, Strategic Communications, Research and Innovation, University of Alberta
- Sue McMaster, Executive Director
- Jill Cross, Event Director and Office Manager