To inspire the next generation of innovation.
Celebrating 30 years in 2019, the Alberta Science and Technology Leadership (ASTech) Foundation is a not-for-profit organization founded through an industry initiative in 1989 to showcase the substantial achievements in science & technology in Alberta and to promote the importance of these activities to social and economic benefit.
ASTech has grown with the support of Sustaining Member organizations spanning major industries – including agriculture, health, education, energy and technology – all of whom recognize and celebrate innovation and excellence in Alberta.
To identify and celebrate outstanding achievements in science and technology in Alberta.
The ASTech Foundation:
- – Creates inspiration
- – Fosters innovation
- – Promotes excellence
- – Builds entrepreneurship and prosperity
- – Supports education and training
We recognize, celebrate and grow the culture of innovation in Alberta year round through community outreach that highlights the work of our ASTech Awards alumni. The achievements and the passion behind the work are celebrated through Humans of Alberta Innovation and the Alumni Speaker’s Bureau. We support industry innovation and economic diversification through industry showcases that explore sector challenges from multi-stakeholder viewpoints. We encourage youth to pursue excellence in STEM through the NextGen Innovators Showcase and the ASTech Scholarship program.
The ASTech Awards are Alberta’s most prestigious science and technology honours. The premiere event of its kind in Alberta, the ASTech Awards bring together 500 leaders from industry, government, media and educational institutions to honour and celebrate outstanding achievement in 10 categories covering the innovation ecosystem and sector-specific categories.
The ASTech Awards recognize and celebrate our brightest minds and the greatest achievements of outstanding individuals and organizations in the Alberta science and technology community.
Since 1989, ASTech has:
- – Showcased Alberta’s excellence in science, technology and innovation by recognizing more than 600 individuals, organizations and teams
- – Invested more than $1.6 million in the science and technology community through cash prizes to award winners
2020 Board Members
- CHAIR: Rick Tofani, Director, Applied Research and Innovation Services, SAIT
- INDUSTRY SHOWCASE CHAIR: Rob Tasker, Community Member (CEO & President , Transrail Innovation Group)
- AWARDS CHAIR: Jutta Rohrschach, Senior Director, Innovation System Engagement, Science and Innovation, Alberta Economic Development, Trade & Tourism
- FINANCE CHAIR: Peter Kinash, Community Member (CFO, Replicon)
- PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT CHAIR: Len Grzyb, Vice President Development, Canada West Services, Worley
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: Sue McMaster, Ex-officio
- Loralee Orr, Communications Leader, Corteva Agriscience
- Tara Barnas, Director Communications & Marketing, Innovate Calgary
- TBD, NAIT
- Kevin Franco, Executive Advisor, Platform Calgary
- Jim Kresta, Team Leader, Bitumen Production Research, Syncrude Research Centre, Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- Zainul Mawji, President, Home Solutions & Small Business, TELUS
- Robert McDonald, Q.C., Partner, Bennett Jones LLP
- Mara Simmonds, Director, Strategic Communications, Research and Innovation, University of Alberta
- Dr. Robert Thompson, Associate Vice-President (Research), University of Calgary
- Dr. Erasmus Okine, Vice President (Research), University of Lethbridge
- Sue McMaster, Executive Director
- Jill Cross, Event Director and Office Manager