Researcher of the Year
This award honours leadership and significant contribution to a science, engineering, mathematics or technology (STEM) research, innovation or breakthrough.
WHO CAN APPLY: An individual or team
Written nomination submission MUST address the following criteria. Frame your answers for a non-expert in your field; use layman’s terms.
- 1. What is the problem or opportunity you addressed through this innovation? (250 words)
- 2. How did you develop the solution to this problem? Answer the following questions: (750 words)
- – Describe the research and how it is unique and leading edge.
- – How has the innovation advanced new knowledge in the field? Is it a niche market or can it be applied broadly in other fields?
- – Has the innovation or research resulted in a solution to a common or persistent problem? Has it been an incremental change or a major leap forward?
- – What is the significance of these advancements?
- 3. Demonstrate impact. (500 words)
- – Describe the overall impact and benefits of the contribution to science, engineering, mathematics or technology. How is the contribution particularly noteworthy, locally and globally?
- – How does this work further the growth and diversification of Alberta’s economy?
- – Describe how the nominee has been recognized as a leading expert in his/her/their field as the recipient of major awards or through citations by others in refereed journals and publications.