To inspire the next generation of innovation.
The Alberta Science and Technology Leadership (ASTech) Foundation is a not-for-profit organization founded through an industry initiative in 1989 to showcase the substantial achievements in Science & Technology in Alberta and to promote the importance of these activities to social and economic benefit.
ASTech has grown with the support of Sustaining Member organizations spanning major industries – including agriculture, health, education, energy and technology – all of whom recognize and celebrate innovation and excellence in Alberta.
To identify and celebrate outstanding achievements in science and technology in Alberta.
The ASTech Awards are Alberta’s highest science and technology honours. The Awards are presented every autumn in Calgary or Edmonton. The premiere event of its kind in Alberta, the ASTech Awards brings together 600 representatives from industry, government, media and educational institutions to honour and celebrate outstanding achievement in 13 categories covering the innovation system, sector-specific and leadership categories.
The ASTech Awards recognize and celebrate our brightest minds and the greatest achievements of many outstanding individuals and organizations in the Alberta science and technology community.
The ASTech Foundation:
- – Creates inspiration
- – Fosters innovation
- – Promotes excellence
- – Builds entrepreneurship and prosperity
- – Supports education and training
Since 1989, ASTech has:
- – Showcased Alberta’s excellence in Science, Technology and Innovation by recognizing more than 500 individuals, organizations and teams
- – Given back more than $1.5 million to the Science and Technology community
2017 Board Members
- CHAIR: Martin Kratz, Bennett Jones LLP
- VICE-CHAIR: Rick Tofani, SAIT
- PAST CHAIR: Rob Tasker, Community Member
- AWARDS CHAIR: Brenda Crickmore, (retired) Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- FINANCE CHAIR: Peter Kinash, Community Member
- RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT CHAIR: Vacant
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR Sue McMaster, Ex-officio
- Jutta Rohrschach, Alberta Economic Development & Trade
- Heidi Yang, APEGA
- Ivan Sierralta, Community Member
- Loralee Orr, Dow AgroSciences Canada
- Ricardo Garza, Foundation CMG
- Tara Barnas, Innovate Calgary
- Dr. Chris Dambrowitz, NAIT
- Jim Kresta, Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- Zainul Mawji, TELUS
- Mara Simmonds, University of Alberta
- Dr. John Reynolds, University of Calgary
- Greg Vilk, University of Lethbridge
- Sue McMaster, Executive Director
- Jill Cross, Office Manager