Medical Doctor, Medical Educator, Biotechnologist, and Businessman
Dr. Cochrane’s career has spanned the fields of medicine, biomedical research, education and business. He served in a number of leadership roles at the University of Calgary, including Dean of Medicine, Professor of Paediatrics, President and Vice Chancellor. During his time as President he established the Faculties of Humanities and Law. He became Alberta’s Deputy Minister of Health in 1973-74 before moving into the realm of business as Chairman and CEO of Connaught Laboratories from 1978-1989.
- 1989 Officer of the Order of Canada
- 2001 ASTech Outstanding Contribution to the Alberta Science and Technology Community Award
- 2002 Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
- 2006 Alberta Order of Excellence
- 2010 Inducted into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame
- 2012 Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal